Ok that was quite a break, back to the grind!
2004 (Original List):
10) Before Sunset
9) Dogville
8) Hotel Rwanda
7) Closer
6) Saw
5) Kill Bill: Volume 2
4) Million Dollar Baby
3) I Heart Huckabees
2) Sideways
1) Spider-Man 2
Now here's my 2004 List if I were to write it today:
10) Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
9) Dogville
8) The Incredibles
7) Closer
6) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
5) Kill Bill: Volume 2
4) Million Dollar Baby
3) I Heart Huckabees
2) Spider-Man 2
1) Sideways
Observations:
- I guess the two things that jump out to the naked eye are the fact that the top 5 films remained the exact same with only one alteration in terms of order and the fact that two comedies made their leap into the top ten.
- With the top 5 remaining the same, I think that speaks volumes about each one of those films. Not only were they excellent upon the initial viewing, but subsequent viewings have, if nothing else, reiterated my original position if not strengthened it. Kill Bill: Volume 2 is still a fascinating mix of action, origin story, and vengeance-laden philosophizing. It's also probably still Tarantino's most heartfelt film to date, as weird as that is to say. Million Dollar Baby is just as resonant and powerful as ever and remains the crowning achievement in Clint Eastwood's latest ridiculous hot streak. I Heart Huckabees is still the most hilarious existential comedy ever created, worrrrdddddd. The only flip-flop was between the top 2 and it is no way a knock on Spider-Man 2. In reality, that and Sideways are pretty much interchangeable in my mind. They both hold a special place in my heart. Nonetheless, I feel that Sideways is an example of one of those rare occurrences when all of the elements in the universe are perfectly synergized to achieve one common goal for the good of humanity...and that is to make a film so tonally perfect, so wonderfully acted, so hilariously poignant, so reflective of real emotion and real human experience. All works of art affect us in different ways. The most powerfully affecting ones come in so many different forms. Much like Lost in Translation, Sideways makes its impact on your soul and heart in a way that few are capable of.
- The other noticeable change is the presence of two comedies in the top ten. I've always felt that comedy is underappreciated when it comes to its place on the overall spectrum of film. Maybe this is due to the nature of comedy and its inherent subjectivity. Common sense says that what one person may find to be hilarious could very well be akin to nails on a chalkboard for someone else. I mean, there are actually people on this planet who miss Jay Leno and hate Conan. I know I know...it's a sick world we live in. Nonetheless, comedy is often overlooked not only by the Academy, but during awards season altogether for the most part. Sure, there are films that have comedic elements to them and may even be satirical in nature, but how often does a film like Old School or Superbad get any kind of award consideration on any level? I'm not saying we should lead a crusade and overvalue comedies b/c they're slighted already, but I just think it's crucial not to take them for granted. Films across all genres elicit all kinds of emotions from us and we keep coming back for more for that exact reason, so isn't laughter just as important (not to mention how comedies are the comfort food of cinema)?
- Amazing that Dogville has retained the exact same spot after 5 years despite having only seen it once. It's not for everyone, but if you allow it to do its job, it's the type of film that stays with you and haunts you for days, weeks, months, maybe even years. And believe me, I'm the last one on the planet who wants to validate anything as far as Lars von Trier's film career is concerned. Barry Bonds was a dickhead, but still a great player. What can ya do.
- This list is kind of the antithesis of the 2003 list in that there is plenty of depth, but the overall strength of the actual top ten isn't as rock solid as 2003's. On the positive side, having to leave off films like Saw, Before Sunset, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (just to name a few) is a good problem to have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment