I was recently thinking about how I compose these Top Ten Lists every year and that when I look back at them, I realize they're more snapshots in time than definitive lists. It's difficult to make anything definitive/final when it comes to opinions on things like film, music, literature, etc. simply because tastes are always shifting and perspectives changing (and in theory, hopefully evolving). Nonetheless, I wanted to compare and contrast how I would formulate those same lists now while viewing what they were when I initially wrote them. As a result, I'm going to post my top ten films of the year from each year in recent memory and then I'll post what my list would be now. Unfortunately, I could only find them as far back as 2002, even though I know I've done them since 1999. Oh well, this should be just fine for my purposes here, a good time shall be had by all. All that being said, I now present to you the first edition in a series of several (?), starting with 2002.
2002 (Original List):
10) Blade II
9) Spirited Away
8) Y Tu Mama Tambien
7) Minority Report
6) Punch Drunk Love
5) The Pianist
4) 25th Hour
3) Spider-Man
2) About a Boy
1) Gangs of New York
Now here's my 2002 List if I were to write it today:
10) Roger Dodger
9) Spirited Away
8) Y Tu Mama Tambien
7) Spider-Man
6) 25th Hour
5) Signs
4) About a Boy
3) Minority Report
2) Punch Drunk Love
1) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Observations:
- I guess the biggest change is the fact that Gangs of New York went from being el numero uno to not even on my current list. I chalk this up to the fact that at the time, I was expecting the greatest Scorsese film ever made considering how much I had heard about the film up to that point and how it was his big labor of love/lifetime dream project and on and on. As a result, while I still think it's a very good film, I think my excitement with the fact that I liked it a lot made me overstate how truly great I thought it was. Now, despite all of its successes and a typically brilliant performance from Daniel Day-Lewis, it's a pretty forgettable film. Nearly 7 years later, it hasn't been one of those films that sticks to your ribs. It's a lot more like Chinese food, in and out baby.
- Minority Report and Punch Drunk Love both made significant leaps forward as the former has turned out to be not only one of the best sci-fi/action films in recent memory, but also one of the most prescient (Patriot Act, anyone?) and the latter, I've found to be one of the most bizarrely disarming "rom-coms" I've ever seen. Although calling it a "rom-com" is not really fair, nor does it do it justice. Like D.J. Justice.
- Interesting that both Spirited Away and Y Tu Mama Tambien retained their exact same positions both times around. I'm sure there's something insightful or witty to draw from that, but I don't know what it would be. Or maybe there isn't.
-Signs and The Two Towers were the two films that asserted themselves on the new list and to say I would never give those two films the benefit of the doubt back in 2002 is an understatement. I finally came to my senses with LOTR and ultimately found that entire trilogy to be the best trilogy ever made. In the case of Signs, I've always held a special reservoir of spite just for Shamalamadingdong, but this was a case of putting a good story ahead of his typical parlor tricks and it worked out well for him.
- Finally, The Pianist fell off the list simply because I only saw it once and that was during its initial theatrical run, so in theory I could see it again and it could vault back into my coveted top ten.
- One final observation. I notice that film buffs and critics alike usually like to bemoan any given year as a "terrible" year for cinema or whatever other snippy adjective you wanna throw in there because let's face it, it's always more fun to complain. Nonetheless, I've noticed that most years are pretty similar. I'll have a very solid top ten featuring a couple of excellent films that sit above the rest and then maybe some more other very good ones that didn't quite make the top ten. Even in years when it seems like there just isn't much to get excited about, the top ten list usually turns out solid even if 80% of everything else pretty much sucked. 2002 is a perfect example of this. Not a banner year by any stretch of the imagination, highly forgettable really. Yet at the end of the day, I'm left with a solid top ten and a few others who just barely missed the cut. My point is, while there will always be plenty of shit to go around, there's usually a solid collection of the good stuff to make it all worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Hmmmm, good stuff. Except why in the hell do you grant Signs a pass? In my opinion, that was one of the most forgettable movies ever made, similar to ALL Shamalayan's (how do spell goddamn name?) movies. And I concur about Gangs, Scorsese's historical flicks are nowhere near as good as his character study works. Then again, it's hard to compare to classic 70s Scorsese...
I can't say I'd give Signs a pass b/c it's not like it's a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. However, I felt like it was Shamalamama's best film and most focused film b/c it was more about Mel Gibson's character's struggle with the death of his wife and his relationships with his family. The "horror/suspense" aspect was just a vehicle to work out those issues as opposed to the other way around where in most of his films it seems he wants to cram in all his gimmicky, "look at what a brilliant, ingenious filmmaker I am" and then try to cram in a real story to make it seem more legitimate. Sometimes, I wish he would just be a straight genre filmmaker instead of attempting to be Orson Welles b/c he is talented, but needs to develop other aspects of his game, specifically his writing.
This is true, but it's still a Shamalamalamalamalama movie. And while it may be good for that category, he REALLY needs to step out of his little box to be considered legitimate on a larger scale. I'd rather watch Hitchcock movies.
HI Jeffy,
I need to save this web address. I never remember it, I went to LJ to get it (I'm not complaining Louis ck). Just looking for a faster method. I need to find you a job as a movie critic. I need a fun project anyway. I was not a big fan of Signs, because I thought I had the best joke ever but nobody laughed. Here it is.. Walking out of the theater i told Troy (loud enough for everbody else leaving the movie to hear) "kinda puts a whole new spin on the water gun". I GOT NOTHING, But I digress.
The rest of the list is pretty good. The best thing about your blog is it's well written, witty and all that stuff. What's up with the whole Oscar stuff?
Maybe we need to throw a real Oscar party. That would be soooo much fun. If for no other reason we would make Fats dress up like a fancy waiter. I MISS U!!! We need to commit to movie night. I'll make snacks just like Football. Meat and cheese trays!
Yvette
Yvette,
I've recently subscribed to Google Reader and it's changed my life in terms of keeping of with stuff like blogs, etc... That's why I'm so comment-y on this thing. I recommend that you give it a whirl, since Google is slowly taking over the world anyways you may want to be ahead of the curve...
I agree Jeff, you should update on a more regular basis so as to attain a rampant following and/or pseudo-job arrangement for your musings. It's all very good and humorous, despite my dissenting opinions.
Also: Good joke, Yvette. I completely forgot about the water thing in that movie! Which brings to mind: "I liked this movie the first time, WHEN IT WAS CALLED 'THE WIZARD OF OZ'." Funny, yes? No? Oh well...
Okay, just got back from girls night, so be kind. I will look into google reader.
Just as a point of info my lil sis works for the world domination know as google.. funny huh?
I need a new outlet. So i will google-reader!!!
ME(Yvette)
You guys are gonna bring a tear to my eye, such kind words! Gosh, I just don't know what to say...I guess I'd like to thank Pants and my mom and...kidding. And Yvette, I agree with everything you said. I'm super down for movie night (and not just drunk-talking about it!) and the only problem with an Oscar party is I wouldn't be able to blog obsessively which I so love to do. Perhaps there's a happy medium we can find b/c an Oscar party does sound fun. Andddd although I like "Signs" more than you guys, I did find it odd that these aliens who are apparently super badasses would attack a planet that is primarily composed of the very element that can kill them. Hmmmmm.
My god, you're all sooooo gay. Jeffy, your list was ok. I take offense that the Pianist was left off of your second list. It may be the best WWII movie made. Watch it again.
I won't stand for all the shamamamaalalamamam hating. The guy definitely has a huge ego and plenty of faults, but he is very good at what he does. Is he a hack? Maybe, but you could make that argument about just about anyone. So go watch your fucking Hitchcock, Gabbo, and I'll be watching special effects that are actually believable.
The rest of the list is ok. I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love but I have a hard time believing it's better than Y tu Mama Tambien and Two Towers. Check yourself Jeff.
Oh, Fat Randy...
"I won't stand for all the shamamamaalalamamam hating. The guy definitely has a huge ego and plenty of faults, but he is very good at what he does. Is he a hack? Maybe, but you could make that argument about just about anyone."
This doesn't make sense. Miley Cyrus meets all of your qualifications and I doubt you would defend her. The point is that the stuff for which ShamaLamaWama is known and "good at" is completely hackneyed, tired and lame. No charge for the lesson. And now I've found your blog, Randy! It's upbeat, I'll give you that!
I do have to agree with you on The Pianist, though, it's at least better than Minority Report. WTF, Jeff? Although, this reminds of a funny story. When I saw "The Pianist" at the theater, I overheard the following statement come out of some theater-kid's mouth: "Yeah, that was good. But I still think Castaway was a better survival movie".
Apparently, the weak Holocaust sub-plot failed to capture the attention of America's youth. Personally, I always thought that the depiction of the Holocaust in cinema needed some "jazzing up". Stupid kids. Future of America, my ass...
Damn you Gabbo. Damn you straight to hell!
Post a Comment