One way to know you're a sick, sick human being: you still watch all 4 hours of an awards show to which you already know all the results and highlights. To be fair, I didn't plan on watching the damn behemoth even though I had recorded it. I guess morbid curiosity got the best of me b/c I decided to just take a glimpse at the opening monologue and to catch Neil Patrick Harris' opening number, then before I knew it, I was sucked in. I'm like Michael Corleone in The Godfather III or a participant in a game of "just the tip" (just to see if I like it). I know better than to play JTT with the Academy, damn it all. Here are some random thoughts and observations:
- Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin did a solid job, especially Steve Martin. I did think having the two of them was unnecessary and didn't really add anything that Martin couldn't handle himself, but it was still better than having Whoopi or Wolverine host.
- The John Hughes tribute was absolutely ludicrous. Look, I get the fact that this generation and the previous generation have a special affinity for John Hughes related productions (to be fair, the guy isn't as prolific as everyone claims, he's only directed like 8 movies). I think by and large, they are ridiculously overrated and silly, passable entertainment at best, but I understand his movies are popular. But for the Academy to single him out and make a huge production over his death is insane. He made some movies that people like, but it's not like they're influential or helped change the game in any way. We're not talking about Kurosawa here. I'm sorry, but if people like Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, and Eric Rohmer merely get mentions during the generic "In Memoriam" segment, then you can never convince me that John freaking Hughes deserves to be singled out. I can't wait to see what the Academy does when Chris Columbus dies.
- Most Awesomely Oblivious Speech Award goes to Mo'Nique. I'll quote it for those who missed it: "First I'd like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics." **cue rapturous applause** Then a sentence or two later, she name drops Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey for "touching" the film. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No politics my ass! Yeah, let's get two of only the richest, most influential pop culture icons in this country behind our little project, no politiking there! What a dolt. I haven't even seen Precious and this just makes me want to hate it.
- Big shoutout to Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett for providing the evening's most uncomfortable moment during their acceptance for the Best Documentary Short award. I swear there had to be at least a fleeting thought of a sweet chokeslam going through Williams' mind when Burkett shoved him aside to give a speech. He had perfect position on her, I don't know why he didn't take advantage. The best part is that the most dramatic acceptances always come from people who direct these short films and not a single person other than those who are directly involved with them could give a fuck less. It's just awesome. Here's the clip in case you missed it.
- As far as the awards themselves go, it went about as I expected. I scored 15 out of 21, not bad, but not great either. The screenplay awards are what fucked me up. I underestimated the love for both The Hurt Locker and Precious. Also, cinematography for Avatar? Seriously?
- And what did I tell you about Best Foreign Film? Total friggin' crapshoot. I've done some more research on the voting process for that particular category and I'm curious to see how I'll do next year knowing what I know now.
- And didn't I say to look to Best Editing to get an idea of who's going to win the big prize? Damn, all this foresight...it's my cross to bear.
- One thing I will say about THL winning so big is that it's encouraging for a film that is definitely not the stereotypical "Oscar bait" to take home the big prize. Another interesting thing about THL is that it wasn't some manufactured Oscar winner that was created with the gold statue in mind to be released in December and given a $65 million Oscar marketing campaign. It was first screened in Italy in 2008 for chrissakes and really only gained steam through word of mouth and excellent critical response. I just appreciate the whole grass-roots effort.
- Another thing about the Academy that I feel is misappropriated is that they only choose certain types of films to win Best Picture. This can be the case sometimes and it certainly has proven itself true throughout the history of the ceremony, but in recent memory, they're really starting to take some chances and go with more daring work. Within the past few years, we've had The Departed, Million Dollar Baby, No Country For Old Men, Slumdog Millionaire, and The Hurt Locker all win Best Picture. Your mileage may vary on how good you think those films are, but you can't say they are typical Oscar bait. So, good for you, Academy.
- Oh and based on Jeff Bridges' acceptance speech, he wasn't doing a whole lot of "acting" in The Big Lebowski it seems. Good for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This is really all I need to get my news and info on the big, stupid Oscars. Great writing, Jeff. Thanks for doing this each year.
All for you baby
In Texas, we have a little saying...Well, there's a saying that says...It goes "better late than forever, or better never be late." or something like that.
With that said, I'll adorn your wittle bwog with my scathing critique and the comments that have fomented the large (and largely respected) following that you now have. Let's go paragraph by paragraph, shall we?
By the ripe old age of 23, you should know that playing JTT will always result in balls deep submersion. It's unavoidable. Either abstain altogether or pound away. Don't delude yourself into believing that you can pussyfoot around something like the Oscars. You're better than that, Jeff.
I agree with your comments about the hosts. The one thing that seems to elude you, though, is the relevance of someone like Whoopi. She's had a large hand in shaping pop culture in this country (the world?) and I think a little recognition is in order.
Nextly, I love that we agree about the Hughes lovefest. It was actually a little embarrassing, considering the treatment that other, more deserving, people received. Seriously, what is that all about? And I'll suppress my deep desire to make a really weeeaaakkk joke and just ask you outright, who the fuck is Chris Columbus?
In Mo'nique's defense, she probably doesn't realize the politics you pointed out. Honestly, I don't really get her comment. What politics would have prevented her from receiving the award? Correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't break through any discernible "barriers" by winning this award, right? What the hell is she talking about? Precious wasn't a *bad* movie, per se. In the immortal words of Silky Johnson, what can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? It's bombed out and depleted. It was relentless and tormenting and without reprieve. That's what drops it a star or two for me.
I'll skip the Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett paragraph because I have neither the time nor the inclination to give a fuck.
15 out 21? Not great but pretty good. Medio-core.
What kind of "research" have you done on the voting process for Best Foreign Film? I thought this shit was all secretive and shit.
You're (kinda) right about THL not being Oscar bait. It's not. And its victory, combined with the victories of those other movies you referenced, does show a little more willingness to take some risks by the Academy. I guess I just don't buy it as wholeheartedly as you seem to. It's not like THL beat out any serious Oscar bait types. Maybe I just need a little distance between myself and this years movies, but I feel like this crop of nominees was one of the weakest I've ever seen. I really liked THL and a few of the others but none of them had the force of some of the recent winners. Not one of the nominees really felt like a *best picture* type of movie. As we've discussed numerous times, it's unfair to "what if" the Oscars but I feel that, had THL been released in any of the last few years, it wouldn't stand a chance. I just can't bring myself to consider it in the same class as movies like The Departed, Million Dollar Baby, and No Country For Old Men. It's not about personal taste, either. THL just feels like it's better suited for the participation ribbon as opposed to the big trophy.
That's it. That's all I got. I wait with bated breath for your response.
Post a Comment